Little known fact: handmade soap has been around since basically the dawn of time, or at least around 2500 BC, where some of the first mentions of soap were found. The soap-making techniques of today, however, bear little resemblance to the ancient art. While soap making in days-gone-by revolved around the use of lye and animal fats, (which often yielded imprecise, "harsh" bars of soap, today's handmade soap makers rely on the use of natural vegetable oils, like palm and coconut.
Unfortunately, during WWII, there was a shortage of these oils, so manufacturers began using synthetic detergents. While this wasn't a move for the better, it was certainly a cheaper way of producing commercial soap, and unfortunately, it has become the yardstick by which we measure prices. Most soap available in grocery stores today has contain around 80% tallow (animal fat) and 20% coconut oil with added synthetic sudsing agents. Good news for them; BAD news for you.
As a result, hundreds of handmade soap companies have sprung up all over the internet, and for good reason.
1. Health. Handmade soap is simply BETTER for you. Our skin is the largest organ of the body, working daily to protect us from the constant onslaught of our environment. It works hard to protect us from viruses, bacteria, pollution, chemicals and irritants. That being said, why would we want to put MORE harsh chemicals on our skin?
2. Wellness. Handmade soap provides a better moisture barrier. Over time, the use of harsh chemicals on our skin can break down the moisture barrier that helps protect our skin, leaving us with dry, flaky, irritated skin. Soothing oils in handmade soap help to keep that moisture barrier intact.
3. Self-care. With the fast-paced world we live in, more and more, people are understanding the need to take time for self-care. We are becoming far more conscious that what we put in, and on, our bodies is super important to our overall health.
4. Stress Relief. Life in today's world is more stressful than ever. It seems we are assaulted on all sides, at work, at home, through the media; and yet, even as we have come to understand the negative effects stress has on our bodies, we can't seem to escape it! Using handmade soap, which often smells as wonderful as it feels, is a wonderful way to relax and help ease the pressures of the day away.
5. Beauty. While "beauty" may not rank high in terms of your pocketbook, trust me; it has a tremendous effect on your senses. From the most modest little handmade soaps, to the more ornate, artisan soaps, I find handmade soaps to be simply...beautiful. In fact, I keep a handful of soap cuttings in my bathroom at all times! In a world that can often be chaotic, surrounding myself with what I consider to be little "luxuries" reminds me to take some time, relax, and focus on the little joys. It's a small thing...but it has a BIG effect!
We love making soap! I take as much delight in creating it as I do in using it, and it's my hope that you will love it as much as I do. All of our soaps are detergent-free, SLS free, and vegan.